MICDA Inc began as The Mount Isa Welfare Council and was established in 1974 to provide social services to the residents of Mount Isa. Early programs focused on Family Support and Playgroup, Welfare and the Community. Program staff were located in two small donga’s between the Civic Centre and the New Council Chambers which did not exist at this time.
The Mount Isa Welfare Council became incorporated on 04 Oct 1984. The Mount Isa Welfare Council Inc, changed its name to Mount Isa Community Development Association Incorporated (MICDA Inc) on 16 Jan 1992 and has been operating under this title since this time.
In September 1994 MICDA Inc moved to the Old Court House in Isa Street where it currently resides and continues to deliver social service programs to the local region.
The MICDA Inc offices at the rear of the Old Court House were once an old Queenslander that was relocated from Kuridala in the late 1920’s. The building served as the original court-house till 1960-61 when the front veranda was removed and a two storey brick building was erected in its place, with both buildings butting comfortably together. In 1972 a New Court House was constructed further along the street, next to the Old Court House. Since this time the Old Court House has been used as office space for local Government and Non-Government Organisations.
Historical Photographs courtesy of the John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland.
For details of the MICDA Inc Management Committee Members (Executive) please click the following link.